Hamann about his penalty 2005: The way to the left corner was easier

Mr. Hamann, the day then not so well started. When did you find out that you would not stand in the starting element of the FC Liverpool?

So about 90 minutes before the impetus. I was actually firmly assumed that I play. But as a coach Rafa Benitez left the lineup, I was not there.

Score a goal, your opponent RANKS UP in Rocket League

That happened accordingly late, after arrival in the stadium?

Yes. But that's okay too. If one as a player already knows a day before that you are not from the beginning, you drive with a different voltage to the match. I think it's better or right. Of course, I was disappointed at the first moment. But football is a team sport, the coach had first opted for eleven other colleagues. That was just like that.

Then they sat on the bench and saw the goals fell against their team: 0: 1, 0: 2, 0: 3 - What did you think of each goal?

At first I thought: Okay, standard, happens. Better in the first as in the last minute. At the second I thought: Puh! And at the third: that was ...

... And thank you, that I can now come in ... ?

So I honestly did not expect that for the break. I had only thought that we missed a huge chance to get the title. The coach was quite quiet in the cabin. He announced the change. I came for Steve Finnan, so that Steven Gerrard was a position as our goal-threatening man could advance in midfield.

What happened next?

Already at the warmaking, as our fans have sang - probably more of despair than faith or hope -, something self-confidence has come back with every minute. I told me: When the three goals can shoot in a halftime, we can do that too.

What gave you confidence?

That we played many finals with the team and had won all all before. And most were tight. But we almost always found a way to win the thing even though we could have lose some or have to lose. So we were out to achieve the first goal in the second round, and then we wanted to continue.

Hamann shot penmeter with fatigue break

So it was. The 1: 3 of Steven Gerrard followed the 2: 3, to which they gave the template.

Yes, after the first goal the game has turned and the mood in the stadium. Milan was as paralyzed for five, six minutes. Vladimir Smicer, whom I had fitted the ball, scored the 2: 3. That meant for us: Game On!

3: 3 then in a penalty margin by Xabi Alonso. Extension, penalty shootout. They had suffered a fatigue break during the game. But she betrayed nothing and became first penalty shooter.

Who should I say it?

years.tv trainer voice

TV almost made: Klopp over the CL final 2005

All videos in the overview

The coach maybe that you are not the ideal shooter under these requirements ...?

(laughs) oh, ne, ne. That was bearable. Although I realized that something is wrong after I went up to the head of the head and then landed. I had broken both middle feet at 18 or 19 years. It had cracked this time. But I was full of adrenaline. So if the coach would ask me if I shame, I realized that I say yes , especially since I was one of the most experienced in the team.

Serginho Haute Milan's first penalty over it. Took a little pressure of them or reinforced it?

It has already made the matter a bit easier. On the other hand, I was aware that through my shot, we had the chance to lead the first time in the evening. So psychologically, it has actually increased the pressure, but personally it was so dear.

Benitez's Akrie gives Hamann to think

It is said that it is ideal to previously set itself as a penalty protector on a corner. Did you handle that or choose spontaneously?

It is always easier that you generate speed for the shot when you go over the body. If you shoot the right corner as a right-footed corner, but you have to open the body, but the good goalkeeper looks you a bit away. So it was clear to me that I choose my left corner because it was the easier way. I have actually focused on the height.

with what thoughts?

Benitez was very meticulous. We had only trained once in the season in the preparation of penalty shooting, but he was well prepared with statistics. And that said, and I had also read that the chance is 91 percent higher to transform the penalty if he is over a height, so from 1.20 meters. Most penalties are held down. But too high, the shot may of course be unanimped, because then you then bring the goal latte into the game.

They have transformed.

Right. And if I could choose a point where I place the ball - with a cross on the game console, that's virtually, then I would probably have right. Of course I was facilitated and glad he was in it.

His biggest moment as a footballer: Didi Hamann with the Henkelpott. Picture-Alliance / PressFoto Ulmer

Then everything took his run. Liverpool won the penalty shootout, the Henkelpott. Was that the best day in her footballing life?

Yes absolutely. The World Cup and the Champions League were the two titles with the highest priority and which I wanted to win. With the World Cup it had unfortunately not quite worked three years before. But then win the royal class, with the association, who had acquired a big reputation about this competition in the 70s and 80s, was already great. Especially since the first Henkelpott was after 21 years, and because just for the fifth time, the club was allowed to keep him. The way was of course something very special, as well as celebrating with the fans then in Liverpool. That was indescribable. What you can not forget about all the joy: with the two penalties, which our Keeper Dudek held against Pirlo and Shevchenko, he was clearly in front of the line. These shots would probably have been repeated today. That was borderline.

It should probably be that way, otherwise the beautiful catch-up of Liverpool view had nothing used ...

... yes, that's exactly how it was.

Something bizarre was then that after the final is not yet fixed, whether Liverpool as a winner at all in the Champions League should start in the coming season.

Yes, that's right. That was not decided at some point. We had become only fifth in the league, found a compromise by going through three qualifying rounds. That was better than not allowed to start. We did it then.

Two years later, they already played for Manchester City. Was Liverpool's final defeat against Milan, who successfully revanched in 2007, still close? Or did you give it the AC after the bitter evening for you?

Yes, the latter already a bit. Of course, if I had been in Liverpool, it would have been something else. I was in the stadium in Athens and had the impression that Milan was totally unsettled because of the game two years ago. But then they have come somehow into the game. In 2005, we could not have gained the game after this course, but in 2007 Liverpool would have to win. But Milan won 2: 1, was a bit cleverer.

The legendary Champions League Final of Istanbul \ - here again for reading ...

years.tv - trainer voice

Klopp: ... then Liverpool wants to see everyone against Milan

All videos in the overview

Comments

Popular Posts